What happens when you are craving pizza AND a burger but you have seven minutes to make supper? …the open faced pizza lentil burger is born.
When hunger strikes, sometimes you just need a quick “ready-made” meal. This interesting combo was a pizza-burger hybrid to satisfy my cravings. The recipe for success is super simple.
I used a lentil veggie burger because I love incorporating plant-based proteins into my diet. Working with plant based proteins (such as lentils) are cheaper, quicker to cook, low fat, and add more fibre to your diet!
What you need?
- Lentil burger
- Slice of bread
- Tomato sauce
- Cheese (My dad treats us to his smoked cheese which makes every recipe even better)
- Toppings of choice: jalapenos, onions, mushrooms, avocado, pickles, peppers, tomatoes, or other grilled vegetables – the possibilities are up to your imagination.
See the photo gallery below for images of products I used.
I needed quick vegetable side dishes to balance my plate so I chose pickled beets, cherry tomatoes, and quick grilled sweet potato fries.
What to do?
- Toss your burgers on the grill. I used a counter-top electric grill press (these can be a pain to clean but quickly cook quality food). Since using lentil burgers, they cook way faster than beef patties – only 5 minutes.
- Toast your bread in the toaster to desired darkness.
- Prepare your toppings and side dishes of choice. I sliced up cheese and jalapenos for on top. I also prepped my side dishes at this time, which included quickly grilling sweet potato fries, washing cherry tomatoes, dishing pickled beets, and blending together a smoothie to complete the meal.
- When the toast is done, cover in a generous amount of tomato sauce. Layer the lentil burger, cheese, and desired toppings.
Boom. Done. Supper in 7 minutes.
What are your favourite quick, easy, ready-made meals?